Trump removes Kamala Harris’s Secret Service protection

29-Aug-2025
.

Trump has removed the secret service protection granted to former US Vice-President Kamala Harris, a senior White House official confirmed. 

According to the letter, dated on Thursday and titled “Memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security”, instructs the Secret Service to “discontinue any security-related procedures beyond those required by law” effective 1 September 2025.

Vice-presidents are entitled to receive Secret Service protection for six months after leaving office, under federal law former. 

On 21 July that period ended for Harris. Her protection had been extended for an additional year under an undisclosed directive signed by then president Joe Biden before leaving office.

Trump’s new directive cancels that extension.

“You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: The letter reads, former Vice President Kamala D. Harris”. 

The Secret Service did not immediately respond to the Guardian’s request for comment. Kirsten Allen, a senior adviser to Harris, said that Harris “is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety”.

The network also reported that Gavin Newsom, the Democratic governor of California, was briefed on the situation late on Thursday. His office did not comment on any potential replacement security arrangements that may be put in place for Harris, who is a resident of California, but Newsom’s spokesperson criticized the decision.

The spokesperson said, “The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses”. 

Karen Bass, the Los Angeles mayor, has also reportedly been in touch with Newsom following the news. As a resident of Los Angeles, Harris could receive protection from local law enforcement, she said. 

Bass called the revocation as “another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more”, said in a statement. 

Bass said, “This puts the former vice-president in danger and I look forward to working with the Governor to make sure Vice-President Harris is safe in Los Angeles”. 

The revocation comes as Harris prepares to launch a national book tour promoting her new memoir, 107 days which details her presidential campaign. 

The book is scheduled for release on 23 September.